Sunday, April 24, 2011

anesthesia and cliches.

Time heals all wounds. I never say this cliche. It's a lie. One of those statements that place an unnecessary amount of pressure on someone who is grieving.
And in grieving I mean, a broken heart, a gut-wrenching pain that you can't explain. A hard core kick in the stomach that leaves you speechless but an ability to cry at the drop of a hat. And yes, I am talking out of my experiences.
A friend who died of a brain tumor; another one lost a brother to cancer; a classmate who was involved in a freak accident and as a result is now unable to walk as over 90% of his body suffered third degree burns; a boyfriend that was suppose to be forever, ended the relationship; a mom diagnosed with breast cancer; a couple loses their 2nd child because she fell 2 weeks before her due date; and just yesterday, I attended a memorial service for a friend that I knew since 7th grade. He committed suicide. He was only 38.
FA? Really?
So, yea, I don't say time heal all wounds. Because when you're the one doing the grieving, time feels like your enemy. I would love to "pause" the happy times and simply press "fast forward" during the times that hurt like crazy.

Time does help move you toward a new normal, though. This is the case with my snoz. Time did foster the healing. I am on the other side of the surgery. Yep, I was right, the crack I heard required surgery. And today, I was able to sneeze and not feel like I would pass out from the pain.
I am able to laugh as I go through the photos and even take pride in one of my mantras-this, too, shall pass- and it did.

I was a little baffled when this photo, along with MANY others, showed up on my camera. "Mom, why did you take all these? I look ridiculous!" My sweet mom replied, "You kept asking me to take photos." I have absolutely no memory of this. It's a good thing that I have proof that I did get dressed before I left the hospital. Some of the photos show me that one of my sisters stopped in. And that night my other sister and her family brought over Chinese to celebrate my dads 72nd birthday. Otherwise, I would not have believed it. Those were some good drugs.


It's true, my nose healed but the urgency to find a cure for Freidriech's Ataxia remains. There are times that I do so desperately wish I could press the fast forward button and skip the pain this disability brings but then I would miss the times I want to press pause to inhale the joy...just like the anesthesia.

1 comment: