Tuesday, May 21, 2013

wheelchair to unicycle.

photo credit goes to my friend, Josh.
Saturday, May 18 was Friedreich Ataxia Awareness Day. I am totally bummed that this is even a day. At the same time, I am elated that it is a designated day. That means people are aware and fighting like crazy for this awful disease to be eliminated. 20 years ago I had no clue what FA even was and what was ahead of  me living with a degenerative disorder. We all live with 'could have, should have, would haves'...I have a ton of those.
But I long to live in the "what will be" or the "what now"? The above photo hopefully shows that. Although a bit disturbing, I think it's hilarious and so exciting for what lies ahead for the future of FA. In efforts to raise awareness for Friedreich's Ataxia Awareness Day, FARA hosted a nation wide campaign. The hope is that soon FA will no longer stand for Friedreich's Ataxia- so what will it represent? It is crazy to allow myself the possibility that one day FA won't be an issue and I will feel awesome!
Next week is my 4th visit to USF.  Last month I checked in over the phone. It's been a long month. I am anxious to return and check in with those in my life who are committed to finding a cure. Their dedication is contagious. It motivates me and reminds me that maybe one day I'll ride a unicycle to work and not my wheelchair.

No comments:

Post a Comment