Thursday, September 2, 2010

culture shock.

I left home at the age of 18 to live in Singapore for 4 months through my college's international program. There were 10 of us Americans from all over the US preparing to embark on an opportunity of a life time. And it was. Our first week together was spent in the states as our university prepared us for the experiences ahead. With an eagerness, our new "family" listened daily as Dr. Rousealow -or pronounced as Wousalow because she couldn't pronounce the "r" sound-lectured about culture shock and what it would be like returning home. I know now that those words "wouds" didn't do justice for what we would live the next 4 months or even prepare us for our attempts to integrate back to the states. We had to experience it for ourselves. Til this day, words aren't adequate to describe what we faced. Although it's a memory, it's a part of me. It molded me. The good and the bad. It's become me.
FA has also become a part of my life. This past weekend was The FA Energy Ball. I knew I had to go. I was invited by Dr. Z and her team to present on the patient panel. From there, an invitation to a Ball. Although, getting all dolled up is not my gig, I was honored to be asked.

The plans to travel down to Tampa was a challenge. In my mind it wasn't an option not to go. I had to be there.
Just like my time in Singapore and the impact it had on my life, my words can't do justice the impact this past weekend has had on my life. Finding words to verbally communicate what it was like to my family and friends is nearly impossible. I know it's shaped me. I know it was powerful.
It was simply amazing.
The passion and dedication of the team of people to find a cure for FA is astounding and quite frankly contagious. The fund raising ball had 850 people in attendance and they even had to turn people away.
Two years. Two years, is the time line given when they speak of a cure for FA. 2 years!! That is crazy but so is the God I serve. He totally can do it.

So, thanks Dr. Z. Thanks, Kelly. Thanks, FARA. Thanks, mom and dad. Thanks, Cherie, Christy and Lauri. Thanks, friends.
2 years, a cure.
Did you hear that FA?
A cure.
Although I don't have Dr. Wousealow's notes to aid in the "culture shock" I am feeling this week, I lean into the hope I have in trusting that future generations won't hear the diagnosis of Freidriech's Ataxia as I did over 10 years ago...
and yea,I'll admit, it was a blast getting all dolled up with my mom in Tampa, FL for the FARA Energy Ball.

4 comments:

  1. Holly, I have chills, literally, all over my body right now. TWO YEARS! God is amazing, and you are part of an amazing and inspiring journey. Glad I know you and can celebrate it with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What encouraging news, Holly! Oh, and you clean up pretty well. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice. you already know I'm so excited I can puke. doin' the happy dance!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holly - You are not only beautiful on the outside, you are beautiful on the inside! What a wonderful experience to part of the cure of FA! Although you can't see me now, I'm giving you a standing ovation!

    ReplyDelete