Thursday, November 18, 2010

"tootie"

I didn't know that I wasn't really breathing. Until yesterday when Delsie's vet called with the result from a biopsy. "Holly, it's great news. The growth was benign oil glands." I literally felt my body release all the tension as I exhaled. Who knew a pimple could provide such joy.

Last Monday, Delsie had an "emergency" surgery to remove a growth that developed rapidly by her mouth. She did fine. And Dr. Bader takes such good care of her. Me? I was a wreck. It has been over nine years since Delsie has been by my side. Nine of the fifteen years that I have been living with this dreaded disability.

Anxiously waiting for me to see her after the surgey confirmed the fact that she makes life do-able for me. She helps me breath. Everyday. With FA. I can breath even though I have FA. Thanks to Delsie.

Going out to train with her for three weeks in PA, was one of the hardest things I have done. But by far, one the most rewarding things in my life.

It is true that as she gets older, the gas she omits underneath my desk at work can actually burn my nose hairs. What a minor thing to compared to her "job" that helps me face the challenges of FA.

Every night Delsie jumps on her toddler bed next to my bed. We prepare to sleep for the night as I massage her and sing,
"You are my sunshine,
my only sunshine,
you make me happy,
when skies are grey,
you'll never know, Dels,
how much I love you,
thanks for helping me live,
one more day."

I love you D-dog.

and thanks FA, because of you,
I have her, my pretty girl.

2 comments:

  1. So so sweet D-dog. I love you too...but nothing like your mommy does.
    T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are dogs mean so much to use, don't they? For me and my husband, our dogs are our kids. For me they mean even more to me while my husband is deployed. I understand. And I'm sure the 2 of you have an even more amazing bond. Such a wonderful love :)

    ReplyDelete