Wednesday, May 5, 2010

who's keeping score?


I was in a busy mall with one of my brother-in-laws the other day. It is not often that we hang out. It was eye opening to him.
"I totally feel famous walking with you, Holly."
"Believe me, Robert, they are staring at Delsie not me."

I am okay with this. The stares and comments are not directed at me. Delsie is beautiful. She's intriguing. And certainly something to be in awe of. She takes the pressure off of me emotionally and physically. We have been a team now for nine years. I have been in a wheelchair four of those nine years. I know the questions and comments and can even predict the passer-by who is going to gawk. It is typical for kids to stop and watch and say, "COOL, DOG!"

That is, until this morning. A boy about 9 yrs old was getting off the elevator as I was waiting to get on. Once he stepped out into the hallway and I moved forward, I could feel him staring. "Here we go," I thought, preparing for the typical questions. As Delsie and I turned to push the button of the floor we needed, the boy was stopped and staring wide-eyed at us. I tried to brake his stare with a "Hi." His stare broke as we made eye-contact. His eyes were wide and his mouth hung open as he exclaimed,"COOL, WHEELCHAIR!!"

This observation warmed my heart and made me laugh. The elevator door shut and I looked down to see if Delsie felt jilted this time. I think she's okay with it.

The score remains: Delsie: 7,678 Wheelchair: 1

2 comments:

  1. AWWW Wow, loved this, Holly. this truly warmed my heart! You can mark the Wheelchair up for another one from me :)

    ReplyDelete