Tuesday, August 23, 2011

in just one year.


This time last year I was in the last minute preparations to attend the FARA energy ball in Tampa, FL. Just one year. A blink of an eye but what seems to be a life time ago. A weekend surrounded by people who are passionate about finding a cure for this disease. A diagnosis that causes people to wonder what is wrong with me. A disability that makes me feel alone; different. I fight against feeling pitied or patronized. 1 in 50,000 people have FA. And I am the 1.
The year brought several new lives, as my friends gave birth to healthy children. 4, to be exact. I've been to a couple of weddings and a handful of funerals. One of my friends moved to Arizona and visited after she settled in. I spoke at a Women's conference. My parents dog died. My oldest nephew got his license and drove over. I directed a play at a local high school. I bought a trike. I applied for a new service dog and have begun to retire Delsie. A good friend of mine received a new heart while another friend finds out if he is a candidate for an intestinal transplant. A year. And I have FA.
This time last year, I was on a high. I was euphoric. I believed there would be treatment or even a cure for FA in 2 years. One year passed and one more to go...life goes on.
I desire to be engulfed with this passion to find a cure. I need to be desperate. Sold out to the cause. And fight like crazy to live a full life on the hope that FA will be a thing of the past. For a year, 10 years, or for however long it takes.
Cheers to the 2011 FARA energy ball. Thank you to those who haven't lost the zeal. It is my hope that the wrath of Hurricane Irene doesn't touch you. But if it does, just as Delsie, my mom and I did when we got caught in the rain last year, may you still dance.
And while you dance, let's make it one step closer to a cure.
Next year, at this time, I can't wait to write three simple words: They found it.

2 comments:

  1. You are a beautiful person. Thanks for continuing to write about your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *sigh* such a good post. Standing here right beside you...loving you, And here's to "fighting like crazy to live a full life on the hope that FA will be a thing of the past."
    xoxo
    tiff

    ReplyDelete