Monday, August 8, 2011

passing the torch...

I remember my sister seeing a guy in the airport using a service dog for balance and she saying to me, "Look, Howard, that might work for you too."
and boy, was she right.
Delsie helps me more than I could have ever imagined as I live with the effects of FA. Going out to train with Delsie was one of the hardest things I have ever done but the most rewarding. She has been my Christ with fur on for over 10 years. She has been so faithful and has worked so hard. Delsie is 12 1/2 and has been "telling" me in a few different ways over a few months that she would like to retire. Service dogs are expected to work 8-10 years. She has done her job. It's time for Delsie to retire.
Believe me when I tell you that this has not been an easy process. But it is all about her now. She has made it all about me for 10 years. She deserves to be pampered as a pet and hang up the harness.
And now we welcome a new member to our family. A 1 1/2 year old black lab named Barkley. Today I was informed by CPL that a match was made for me with a successor dog. In a home full of estrogen, we anticipate, a boy.
My mind is racing and my heart is overflowing with emotions. After months of the application process, I am once again fighting FA head on.
Me, Delsie and Barkley.
FA doesn't stand a chance.

3 comments:

  1. Follower of your blog and lover of animals. Good luck to you on your new addition Barkley and congratulations to sweet Delsie for a job well done. You are so lucky to have each other. Spoil her rotten!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delsie - Thank you for being such a good and faithful friend!

    Barkley - Buckle your seat belt... your in for a wonderful ride!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Hornes can't wait to meet Barkley!!! Emma was thrilled with your bday greetings. So let's get that scheduled, girl!

    ReplyDelete