Saturday, April 17, 2010

Another...


Another clinical study. Another whirlwind experience. Thursday, my friend and I embarked on a road trip to Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio. A six hour trip that turned into eleven hours as the Goodwills on the way screamed our names.
I knew what was going to be involved in the test. I was uncertain how I would react. Simply said, I am glad that I have a year to forget about it. OSU was impressive and those involved on this particular study were great. This is a clinical study that examine the heart of those effected with Freidriech's Ataxia. And that would be me. Ignorance is sometimes bliss. And that statement applies in this situation.
A team of researchers/nurses/doctors and technicians "worked" on me for 3 hours. I began the test by adorning the infamous hospital gown, performed the studies neurological tests, met the cardiologists and poked for two IV's that came out of the same arm. I was wheeled back to the MRI room and another team introduced themselves and quickly became captivated with Delsie.
After I was completely strapped down on a narrow stretcher, I panicked as my nose started to itch. The table slowly moved me in a tube up to my ankles. If I just lifted my head from the table, my nose problem would be solved as it would be squished. I then panicked feeling that I had to sneeze. And then my shoulder started to itch. Another hour in this MRI- I thought I would have to squeeze the emergency ball they placed in my hand to pull me out. The contraption across my chest didn't help along with the instructions to hold my breath and then relax. RELAX?!
It was at that point that I started envisioning myself laying in an open meadow. This was a mental challenge more than anything else. A nurse came out to holler down the tube that medicine was going to flow to make my heart race. For four minutes. In a tight tube. I started to pray for my friend who is waiting for a heart transplant. This was a cinch compared to what he is going through.
I couldn't have been more relieved when I heard the nurse tell me they were done. Once again, Delsie was a trooper.
And more Goodwills on the way home.
So, this visit is done for this year. I will endure the same thing once a year for the next five years. Over that time, my heart will be studied and compared to other FA patients. And I wait. And hope. That some day there will be a cure.

1 comment:

  1. Robin Sebasta IrelandMay 4, 2010 at 1:33 AM

    Oh Holly, I hear ya. I have the same test every 2 years. Mine is actually tomorrow! Hopefully they send you your results. It can be very reassuring to find things like ejection fraction still in a good range. And when you go back next year they will likely tell you if there has been a change from the last scan. Hopefully you aren't terribly claustrophobic. I'm not, but the urge to itch is definitely a huge pain! :-)

    Hugs, Robin

    ReplyDelete