Tuesday, April 6, 2010

a little set back.



I'm still here. I'm not giving up. It's not done. This fight. This stupid FA. I know I have this thing. These past two weeks don't let me forget it, either. What would be a minor "hiccup" for someone becomes something major for a person with FA. And unfortunately, that's me.
I have had Delsie (my service dog) for 9 years and she has never been treated to an ambulance ride. That all changed two weeks ago, Monday. Without boring you with the unnecessary details; we were in and out of the hospital a couple of times as they discovered a cyst on my ovary that apparently became twisted. People. I pride myself on my high tolerance to pain but this was like no other. Delsie was incredible, as usual, and impressed the paramedics and hospital staff with her professionalism. I, on the other hand, was a miserable patient. This photo was snapped without my knowledge from my mother after I was completely comatose from the pain meds...nice. And she becomes my "mother" instead of the enduring name of "mom" in a time such as this- causing a slight chuckle when I become aware of a flash in the ER room.
Thanks to a "mom", who never left my side, I have returned to society. Although my trips to FL and USF are over for now. I am hopeful that this journey to find a treatment or cure for FA is only just beginning.
If you have been following, you may remember I have agreed to a study for FA patients on their heart at Ohio State University. That test is next week. Time flies and life continues and so does the hope for finding a cure for FA.
I am completely off Chantix for two months now. I am having more trouble talking again. And I cried me a river yesterday. Oh wait, can't blame that on the Chantix just my pity party that happens every now and then...

2 comments:

  1. Oh my little chaquita. I'm so glad you have you're mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you feel better! I have had the same thing happen, it's insane pain! Good luck with your testing soon in Ohio. I'll be thinking of you. :-)

    ReplyDelete