Saturday, October 24, 2009

bitter or better?


I am not sure why I doubt. I struggle with controlling things. I tend to expect that life will turn out the way I want. You would think I would catch on. I live each day with this thing called FA that is rather demanding. And at times, very annoying. I don't have control over the progression over this disease. And I am ashamed to admit that often, I feel defeated. But what I do have control over is how I will react to my circumstances. A good friend of mine challenged me when the diagnosis was new. "Holly, you have a choice. You can choose to be bitter or you can choose to be better."
I attempt to choose the later.
Every day I am reminded of this choice. God gives me little glimpses of who He is and how He continually has my back. This Friday was no exception.
I meet with a few of women every other Friday for a writing group. One of these woman had just joined. We don't know each other that well. My trip to the clinic tomorrow must have been mentioned the last time we met. When I arrived Friday she handed me a gift bag, "This is a little something for your trip."
That, in and of itself, was so thoughtful. I was extremely touched. But when I opened the bag when I arrived home, I was brought to tears.
Each and every gift in the bag was filled with details by someone who really knew me. Right down to my favorite Kit Kat candy bars!
She also included a note that included Hebrews 11:8. "By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going."
Abraham obeyed and went.

And by faith, I leave for my second visit to the clinic tomorrow.
Day #33 and God reminds me that someday it will be better. I may or may not witness it here but I am okay because He'll provide the Kit Kats. I just need to obey and go.

...and away I go...

2 comments:

  1. That is so awesome Holly. Brought tears to my eyes. (And the post writing is excellent.)
    Good luck tomorrow! I'll be praying for you! Remember to take pics and video. I am looking forward to hearing all about it when you get back!
    LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s.
    Is there a picture of me on your desk? If not, there should be.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete