Thursday, October 15, 2009

this, too, shall pass


Don't worry. This is not a plug for the H1N1 vaccine. Nor is it my intention to make you squeamish at the sight of needle. Frankly, I am quite fond of needles. Needles that carry an injection of B12.
It all began a year ago when my friend and I were struggling with the afternoon lull. About 3:00 during the day, I wanted desperately to crawl under my desk at work and take a little siesta with Delsie on her dog bed. She asked me if I had ever heard of a B12 patch. Thus, began a round of blood work to determine if I was in need of such a vitamin in my body. The tests results showed that I was extremely low in B12 so my doctor wanted me to start injections of it. And now, I would drink the stuff if I could. I had no idea how bad I felt before I started this treatment. It is to the point that I recognize it is soon time for another injection. No more afternoon lulls and the sound of Delsie snoring under my desk makes me smile with joy and not green with envy.
So, after my scare with Dr. Z last week and my overall sluggish feeling, I realized I was past due in my dose of B12. The next day a friend gave me the shot and within an hour she noticed that I perked right up. Dr. Z phoned me and during our conversation noticed the improvement it made in my speech alone. Phew.
I am still on the course. On Tuesday, I have increased to 2 pills in the morning and 2 pills at night. I have reached the maximum dose and I am on day #22. Dr. Z told me that day 20 the side effects may kick in.
I am not going to lie, I have twinges of doubt and tugs with fear. But I want to do this. I need to do this. For those living with FA or those not yet diagnosed. We are all in this thing together. This thing called life. And if in this life, I witness a treatment or even a cure for this annoying disease than my moments of tears and my bouts with anger will all be worth it.
Tonight, I cling to His promise...
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes on not what is seen but what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary and what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18
Day 22 and I am still living with the effects of FA.
But it's only temporary.

No comments:

Post a Comment