Saturday, February 6, 2010

attitude of gratitude


People come and go in our lives. For some, that is okay. And others, we miss. These three people entered my life and more importantly, have a place in my heart. Every month I look forward to seeing them. I enjoy hearing about their lives. Each time I learn something new about them as people. I like them.They are passionate about their job. Committed to find a cure for this Ataxia thing. I am still working through my disappointment that they didn't include me in the memo about wearing black and white last month. This is a photo of my team at USF for the clinical study during my fifth visit. (from left to right) Kelly, Dr. Z and Laurie. I can call them friends now.
Another "blessing" during this dreadful disease. A little nugget of gratitude that God gave me in this journey. Gifts, like friendships, are all around. I just have to choose to look at them. At times, it seems so much easier to go down the slippery slope and focus on the bad. But in the end, that causes more harm than good.
On my last visit, Dr. Z ran into the room where I was being tested and gave me a big 'ole hug. She has an ability to make me feel cool that I have FA when she goes though the neurological tests and we chatted like I was her only patient. After Dr. Z left, I said to Laurie, "Wow. She spent a lot of time just talking to me!"
Without hesitation, she replied, "Well, she likes you a lot."
The feeling is mutual. She's not just my doc, she's my friend.
Despite the fact I wasn't included in the memo.

No comments:

Post a Comment