Wednesday, September 2, 2009

He makes me wanna be...

I went into full gear for a solid month. Endless phone calls, emails and doctor visits. In the phoning process I discovered the clinical study in PA was full. My curiosity got the best of me and I called down to FL. The study allows 16 FA patients. 8 ambulatory (can walk without assistance 25 feet) and 8 non-ambulatory (which obviously was me). Before I knew it I was "pre-screening" over the phone with the administrator at University of Florida. Answering the easy questions, do I smoke? have a history of clinical depression? am I taking any medication? Not known for being a good test taker, I was pleased to hear that I passed.
Wait! Passed what? What did this mean? I soon discovered that it meant I had to pass the formal screening. Blood work (TONS of it) EKG, echo cardiogram and a visit to my primary physician. The game was on and I was in "do mode" to pass this screening. Not really sure why but it was a challenge to try figure out all the insurance stuff and make all the doctor appointments. But I did it. And then I had to wait for the researchers to say I passed. And I did.
Wait! Now what? This meant I was accepted into the clinical study for FA at the University of Florida.
I felt a little dose of hope. There may be treatment or even a cure for those diagnosed with FA. A little dab would do me. A dollop of hope.
I didn't stop to breath and think of the ramifications of it all until one of my best friend wrote this in her email when I told her I had no clue what I was doing but I got accepted in a clinical study for FA:
"I am so proud of you, Holly. You are brave to do this..."
It was at that moment the tears began to flow. Not because I felt courageous but that God answered my plea in my boredom. My life, lil' 'ole me, may help find a cure for this awful disease that has robbed me of so much. But one thing I know and am confident of, FA is not going to steal my joy. Just like the song, BRAVE by Nicole Nordemon, "I think I just let go".

2 comments:

  1. Im SO excited for this new adventure! Looking forward to all the updates and blogging as you plunge into this!

    I'm Your First Follower too! Do I win something for that?

    We need to get more people to sign up...we should campaign for followers... like 9th grade class office elections... GO WITH THE FRO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the update now? Is it still happening? Love the new blog.
    T

    ReplyDelete